What are the fees for investment management and financial life planning?
- Investment Management is for those who wish to delegate the daily activities of their investment
portfolios to a professional.
- Financial Life Planning is for those who can benefit from a coordinated view of their financial life
developed by a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional.
What do investment management clients receive?
- Fiduciary responsibility from the planner
- Risk Tolerance Assessment
- Asset Allocation and Portfolio design that matches your goals, investment time horizon, and volatility preference
- Mutual funds from Dimensional Investment Advisors (DFA) are used primarily for implementing the equities (stock) allocation. For clients with significant assets, some individual stock managers may be used for tax efficiency.
- Periodic Reporting:
- Performance Review
- Realized Gain / Loss data for taxes
- Expense data for taxes
- Investment Policy Statement
- Meetings and communications necessary for you to monitor and discuss your investments
Managed account fees are typically based on the amount of assets under management. Due to my efficient operation, the fees compare favorably to many other San Francisco Bay Area advisors. The asset-based fee starts as low as $1,667 per month. The fee percentage decreases as the assets in the account increase.
Investment Management Fee:
The asset-based fee starts as low as $1,667 per month. The fee percentage decreases as the assets in the account increase.
|Assets under Management||Annual Fee1|
|the first $2,000,000||1.00%|
|the portion from $2,000,000 to $5,000,000||0.75%|
|the portion over $5,000,000||0.50%|
1You need at least $2,000,000 to invest and there is a minimum monthly fee of $1,667 for managed account clients. Because the rate decreases as the assets increase, the fee for $3,000,000 of assets is $2,292 per month. 401k and 403b assets at existing employers may be included when the accounts are substantial.
Fee payment: Multiple family accounts for those using the same mailing address may be joined for the purposes of computing the fees. Fees are paid in advance at the beginning of each quarter.
With your approval, fees are deducted directly from your investment account. You may terminate at any time with no notice and no penalty; any fee paid past the termination date is refunded.
Financial Life Planning: Designed for those who can benefit from a coordinated view of their financial life assisted by a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional. The cost for the plan is based on the effort and complexity involved. For typical situations the one-time plan fee is in the range of $8,000 to $12,000. Ongoing financial planning and investment management is provided by retainer, and the fee is based on your net worth. I can give you an estimate after discussing your particular situation.